This 3-day jeep safari will bring you to the two high-altitude lakes of Tso Moriri and Tso Kar (Tso = lake). They are situated near the border to Tibet.
1st Day: Leh (3.500 m) to Tso Moriri (4.530 m)
You will spend a lot of time in the jeep (about 137 km, 7 – 9 hours) to go there, but it is really worth every single kilometre. The high altitude lake (4.530 m) is surrounded by snow capped mountains. In Korzok – the only settlement on the lake - is a monastery with about 25 resident monks. You will camp near the lake.
2nd Day: Explore the lake
Make some excellent day trips around the lake:
- stroll around the lake
- climb one of the peaks around the lake
- visit the lama residence on the lake
- visit the monastery of Korzok
- enjoy the country side of Korzok village
- talk to your neighbour on the campside
3rd Day: Tso Moriri (4.530 m) via Tso Kar (4.350 m) to Leh
On your way back to Leh you will stop at the salt lake Tso Kar.
- travel on the 2nd day back to Leh via Tso Kar (stressful)
- stay overnight in Tso Kar and visit some monastaries on the way back to Leh
- trek to Tso Moriri (9 days) and go back to Leh by jeep